Rollei 35 RF vs. Voigtlander Bessa R2a / R2m

Started Aug 22, 2014 | Questions thread
Artichoke
Artichoke Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670
the CV 40 Nokton is a honey

Ty Madey wrote:

snip

So my conundrum is based on what gear to get. I definitely have a tendency to think too much about these things, but I have narrowed my choices down a great deal from the research I have done on my own. Here is where I currently sit: For the camera, I think it has to be between the Rollei 35 RF and the Voigtlander Bessa R2A (the ability to do aperture priority would make me consider it over the R2M unless I found a way better deal on the latter).

I am in the weird thought camp that would rather a 40mm lens as my standard over a 35mm or 50mm. So the Voigtlander Bessa R3A/M would be the solution if there wasn't one glaring issue with that camera: I wear thick glasses. I have come across the opinion way too frequently to believe it that the 40mm frame-lines are very hard to see with glasses. Even if I was able to see the edges, I would likely miss out on the other part of the experience that is getting to see outside the frame-lines for composure.

So, I stumbled upon the Rollei 35 RF and have heard it is the best Bessa for eyeglass wearers. The issue is there seems to be a fairly big lack of reading I can do on this camera. I am interested in how it would compare to the Bessa R2M. I am also interested if anyone has any experience with the 40mm f/2.8 Sonnar lens that can be found with it and how that lens stacks against the 40mm Voigtlander Nokton 1.4 lens.

In short, the Rollei seems like a really great solution for me to be able to enjoyably use a 40mm lens. The issue I just have is lack of knowledge about it and also the fact that it is so dang gawdy looking.

don't know what you mean by gawdy, but with the optional fenestrated metal hood, my 40 Nokton remains a favorite of mine on the M9

don't know how well this performs on other bodies, but it really is stellar from my experience

light, small & fast

40 mm is a perfect FL for walking about photography

-- hide signature --

pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
my PBase Galleries
"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow