On Tap...

Started Oct 20, 2016 | Discussions thread
Yake Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: On Tap...

L Copps wrote:

MrScrooge wrote:

Brian From WI wrote:

So, anyone who agrees with or has the same opinion as him are sock puppets?

That's one side of the extreme. The other side is that some people think that they are right and everyone else is stupid. In the end, it's all the same. Someone thinks that their opinion is fact.

Hi Brian - firstly let me say I largely agree with your post, it is also well written and balanced.

But I feel it worth iterating that there is a hard line between opinion and fact at this point - MTF values, vignetting, CA etc - these values are all clearly observable, measurable, repeatable. You can make claims about a lens using these parameters and back them up simply by "showing your work" - the people who carry out this testing can then state their results as fact - which when put into context (taking into account the test methodology and sample diversity (usually 1)) gives us useful knowledge about the lens.

Photography is not calculus. Its as much art and subject to every level of critique as any piece of art. If you believe all comment and opinion about photography must be proven by fact, then you have missed the entire essence of photography.

You may then opine to your hearts content about the relevance of the data but the results are objective facts - we need not rely on others opinions, we are all capable of making our own with facts. This is why they are so much more valueable than opinion alone. All TAF offers is opinion*, but (arguably) misrepresents this as fact.

Once again, opinions about interpretation and emotion are just as relevant as technical aspects. In all fairness to TAP, he does make his case and present evidence, so its not all opinion. If someone makes the effort to give you free education, you should at least respect their efforts. Everything you hear demands scrutiny, but the education is a free gift to you. Apply your own scrutiny and judge the material on its merits rather than what you think about the person who presents it.

There have been many times when bashed and trashed gear without presenting any evidence. And a few times when he presented only very dubious evidence. And he spoke very disrespectfully of people who disagreed with him. Trashing products without evidence and trash-talking people who disagree does not qualify as "free education".

*oh, and the facts he scrapes off the internet from uncredited sources.

Nearly every photography tutorial on the internet doesn't credit its sources.

To each their own, but I value the input of someone who is transparent about their sources so I may draw my own conclusions far more than someone who expects me to accept theirs as gospel.

Many on this forum demand complete agreement and disparage those that don't.

Speaking of complete agreement, TAP blocks critical comments under his videos and then brags about how the comments are mostly positive. And he is quite nasty in disparaging people who disagree with him. TAP takes the cake for name-calling and grotesque mean-ness to people. I've never seen anyone stoop to his level, calling people that disagree with him "cockroaches", etc.

Threads like this is a great way to divide people that supposedly came together to share a similar "passion"

TAF is as guilty as anyone for turning debate into argument on this forum with his many accounts. It wasn't until I saw how he behaved here that I lost respect for him. I think that many others here may be the same - I hope that maybe explains why things are so polar about him here?

There is plenty of guilt to go around. Someone called me a moron because I had a different opinion about a lens. Imagine that.

But judge every opinion or presented piece of information respectfully by its merit and not by prejudice of a person or what was said in the past.

Yake's gear list:Yake's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS RP
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow