SONY FE 24-70/2.8 GM - as good as it gets on SONY A7R2

Started Oct 16, 2016 | User reviews thread
Mo Al
Mo Al Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: SONY FE 24-70/2.8 GM - as good as it gets on SONY A7R2

Khun_K wrote:

upgrader wrote:

Thanks for the nice wrap up. How is your impression and experience compared to the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f4 image quality wise?

The Zeiss 24-70/4 is a very good lens, light weight, focus relatively fast, I would have no hesitation shooting it, in fact, during those A7R days it was the lens always attached to my camera - until A7R2 came out and offer very fast autofocus with Canon EF lenses using Metabones adapter then I switched to use Canon 24-70/2.8L IS II, then until 3-4 months ago, moved to 24-70/2.8 GM.

I still keep the Zeiss 24-70/4 just in case I wanted a more compact and lighter weight solution. It is a very fine lens and I would say as far as that I do not know any images I got from either Canon or SONY f/2.8 lenses would be less nice if I were to use Zeiss 24-70/4. My preference using faster glass is not for its speed but for it offer more precise focus on more difficult situations. Absolute sharpness is not something matter that much to me, it is noticeable if one wanted to pixel peeping, but on print, it is all about total presentation of image and the Zeiss 24-70/4 can certainly deliver.

-- hide signature --

Thanks a lot for your test and comparison between the F4 and F2.8 (among others) based on real world experience. Some of my friends went from F4 to 2.8 but I'm going to keep the F4 for now. Thumbs up for your review again!

-- hide signature --

- Mohamed,
C&C on my pics without any reservation is much appreciated. Thank you!
https://www.facebook.com/wwsnaps/

Mo Al's gear list:Mo Al's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow