Lens Microcontrast 2

Started Oct 16, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,777
Lens Microcontrast 2

Seems there are some folks who like Teddy bears for microcontrast samples, so I obliged, even though I still think the granite sample from the original thread contained an excellent variety of detail and tonal scales.

Here the samples are larger, at about 88% instead of 50%, and contain a number of different objects.  There are only 8 lenses this time; I have not included any shorter than 105mm, and there are 3 newly-introduced lenses that were not used for the original sample set.  Because this is a 3D subject, I stopped the lenses down to f/8 for increased DOF.

Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to assign grades to each sample for degree of microcontrast, and note which, if any, appear to have "3D pop" to you.  Since these are separate images, you can load each one into a different instance of your favorite image viewer, then switch between them at will.  If you prefer monochrome, set your saturation slider to 0.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Some Results from the Original Lens Microcontrast Thread

Sincere thanks to the 10 or so readers who responded with detailed microcontrast grades for the 16 lenses.  A few of the lenses had a wide range of grades, reflecting the difficulty of assessing samples that are so similar, but the top picks were more consistent.

The 16 lenses are:  AF 35/2D, AI 35/1.4, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, PC-E 45/2.8, AI 50/1.8, AFS 50/1.8G, AFS 50/1.4G, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Micro 60/2.8D, AFS 85/1.8G, AFS 85/1.4G, AI 105/2.5, Micro 105/2.8D, AFS 105/1.4E, AF 135/2 DC and Zeiss 135/2 Apo.

The readers' top pick was the Sigma 35/1.4 Art (I suspect that may blow a few gaskets).

Following in second place was the Micro 60/2.8D.  The Sigma 50/1.4 Art and AFS 50/1.4G tied for third, and the AFS 105/1.4E took fifth.  Solidly in last place was the AI 105/2.5.

The computer agreed about last place, but otherwise had things in a rather different order, with the Zeiss 135/2 as the winner.

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow