Separate two lenses -- wide & telephoto vs one zoom lens

Started Oct 13, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cauger61 New Member • Posts: 7
Separate two lenses -- wide & telephoto vs one zoom lens

I am an absolutely new comer to the world of dSLR photography. I have recently joined a bird watching group and have made a few trips with successfully (to the extent permissible) taken birds and nature photographs with my existing point-and-shoot camera. But now I have started realising its limitations and therefore I have recently decided to have a Nikon d5200 which suits my budget.

The camera comes as usual with a 18-55 kit lens. The experienced members of the group come with awe raising 80-400 or 150-600 lenses, which are to me at jaw-dropping prices. Within my limited budget, I find that 16-300 or 18-300 or 70-300 by Nikon or Tamron is relatively affordable.

My question is, is it advisable to have a single lens of 16-300 or 18-300 range or to have two separate lenses -- one 18-55 (as kit lens) for wide shots and another 70-300 for bird shooting? Because, I have the option of buying the body-only of the dSLR and in that case the price of the camera will be reduced by 3-4 thousand rupees, if I forego the kit lens. I am a bit confused -- pls. help.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow