Is there a future for Nikon?

Started Oct 13, 2016 | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
rapick
rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,967
Is there a future for Nikon?

As a long-time Nikon user (CP995, D200, D700) and NTF 'veteran'  contributor, I'd like to share with you a few thought about Nikon's future (inspired by recent Them Hogan's articles).

I already posted this (substantially) in the Nikon 1 System Talk, but understand the audience here is different.

IMHO Nikon can overcome the present difficulties (substantial market stagnation) only by adopting a courageous long term strategy,

Starting point is "Future is mirrorless" (as agreed by many commenters much more knowledgeable than me).

The first consequent choice is: Stop delaying development of competitive mirrorless systems. Assumption that this will erode market share of your low-middle tier DSLRs is wrong: it will be eroded and eaten up by competitors, and this is much worse for Nikon's future.

Second related choice is: abandon low-middle tier compacts completely: here you cannot compete with smartphones, since those offer the side advantages of allowing phone calls, SMS messaging, internet connectivity, etc.

Third choice: develop a winner interchangeable lens mirrorless system. The reasonable choice is for a DX size sensor but that means Nikon shall develop a completely new lens lineup. Compatibility with existing F mount (DX and FX lenses, and even AIS) shall be provided by a high-performance adapter, possibly offered at bargain price. By no way the size and weight of the new mirrorless bodies shall be compromised in the attempt to ensure total backward lens compatibility.

Make the new mirrorless system lens mount compatible with FX (or even larger) sensor size.

Stop iteration of Dxxxx reflex bodies: this is a dead end.

Keep slow-pace development of the Dx and Dxxx lines (and relevant high-end lenses) as an "elite" choice able to maintain the Nikon "excellence" allure.

DL line? I wonder if it is possible to compete in this segment when you have to buy sensors from your strongest competitor...

Future of N1 system in this strategy? Sincerely, I don't know.--

Rapick
Albums: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Sony RX100 III Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow