Final print size

Started Oct 10, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PGrGr New Member • Posts: 12
Final print size

I have a Panasonic GX7 and a bunch of lenses. I've been honing my skills in landscape and family photography, and thinking a little about tentatively dipping my toe into some commercial family photography as a way of making some extra money.

One thing I currently have little experience of is seeing my prints blown up to wall hanging size. Recently, I was at a friend's place, and he had a canvas print landscape on the wall which he had shot, which must have been about 1m wide. It was taken with a high end DSLR from a few years ago (I forget which particular model now)

I have heard the trope that DSLRs still have the edge when it comes to large prints due to the larger sensor size and therefore, the higher number of pixels. However, upon checking the tech specs of our respective cameras, his camera had 20 mega pixels, and my GX7 has 16 mega pixels - not a huge difference.

So, assuming that I am not held back by poor quality lenses, poor shooting skills or anything else, here's my question: What size print is the maximum I could expect from a camera like the GX7, before pixellation or other degradation of the IQ as a result of using my m4/3 cropped sensor starts to hold things back?

I am particularly interested in answers that people can provide based on actual experience rather than those based on theoretical discussions involving maths and inferences.

Thanks everyone!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow