Does this ever REALLY happen? I mean really.

Started Oct 6, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FrankieJ
FrankieJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,655
Does this ever REALLY happen? I mean really.

Here at DPR I have seen a lot of first time posts usually in the Beginner or Open Talk forums along the lines of this -

"I am a rank novice/newbie/aspiring photographer. The other day I was out and about with my camera trying to figure out which button to press to take a picture when all of a sudden I was approached by a passing stranger who asked me to shoot their wedding/business opening/headshots for a company of 237 employees. What are the super bestest settings to use? Please keep it easy because while I love photography I don't want to have to learn about all that icky-techy stuff like composure and expression compensation, oh and how much should I get paid? Thanks in advance - X-Co Photograhpy, Inc.".

Are these just abitious imaginings on the part of someone who wants some internet presence?
I'm in LA and I can be seen out shooting very often working with models or assistants and I have NEVER, in 15 years, been randomly approached by a total stranger for immediate hire to shoot something. Most of my hires are responses to my advertising efforts or through a known source referal.
If this really happens, why?
Are they the only person ever to be seen with a big camera in their tiny little village or township?
Just curious if others have noticed posts like these also.
Thank you for your time.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow