Angry Photographer proves the 105/1.4E isn't "flat"

Started Oct 4, 2016 | Discussions thread
OP Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,777
Is an apology required for being a realist?

Iain G Foulds wrote:

... Marianne: Seriously, you don't see depth in subjects, apart from the composition as a whole? In a portrait, an ear doesn't seem further away than a nose?

In that particular case, there is a manufactured sense of depth which only results from conscious recognition of the subject, and knowledge of what the subject is like in 3 dimensions, from prior experience.  Light and shadow can help this, but at no time am I confused into thinking I am looking at anything remotely as realistic as an actual 3D subject.  My binocular vision insists powerfully that I am looking at a flat surface (display or printed photo), and no conscious process can override that.

Now, if I close one eye and stay still, my mind becomes free to interpret as it pleases:  Looking at the application windows on my monitor, I can certainly make them appear separated in depth, and I can fool my perceptions into believing that the stars on my background photo are as remote as real stars.  But as soon as I have both eyes open again, everything immediately snaps together into a flat surface.

What I am trying to make clear, is that there is a huge difference between knowing depth from mere inference, and seeing depth through binocular-difference processing.  To me, they are not remotely similar.

No portrait has any cues in it, which would allow you to discern whether the photo was taken of a live person, or was just a photo of a flat photograph.  Anyone who has done photo copy work knows this first-hand.

The consciously-derived sense of depth from a 2D image does not occur at the level of the visual cortex, and it is only a rough approximation (typically an underestimate) of the original subject's true depth features, with a high degree of uncertainty - not to mention a high error and omission rate.

No single 2D image gives the visual cortex any 3D stimulation.  That is the only place in your brain where a detailed and accurate third dimension can be constructed, free of uncertainties and confusion.

If you were shown a photograph of a collection of unfamiliar objects, without cues such as overlap or shadow or defocus, you could not determine what the relative distances of the objects were.  Many convincing "trick" photographs have been produced, which take advantage of this fact.

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow