Angry Photographer proves the 105/1.4E isn't "flat"

Started Oct 4, 2016 | Discussions thread
nottabot New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Angry Photographer proves the 105/1.4E isn't "flat"

Marianne Oelund wrote:

After all his bluster decrying the failings of the new Nikon 105/1.4E, Ken has unwittingly given us the best evidence ever, that it can produce gorgeous 3D pop.

All it takes is a smart aleck like me to come along, and notice how to use his resurrection-plant example to put the "flatness" issue to rest.

Here you go - Ken's stereogram created with the 105/1.4E (and a little help from the 105 DC as well; I wouldn't want to leave that out). Arranged by yours truly, for cross-eye mode viewing.

Nikkor 105/1.4E (with 105 DC) creates real 3D!

Of course, to make the stereo effect work well, I had to adjust the exposure to match as closely as I could. With that done, I would like to have some feedback about the microcontrast in each pane: Have a careful look, and post your opinion as to whether the left pane or the right pane has better microcontrast - or if you think they look about even.

Thanks for looking!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58454992

I did the same a few days ago, and posted it somewhere else. I won't say where, but I have copied the post and the link above should work hopefully. Perhaps a moderator can approve that post.

You'll note that if you run a difference layer on the photographs, they're taken at a slightly different angle (it's more noticeable with the other photographs). I'm guessing he used two cameras, side by side, and so the lighting was different. He likely set the camera settings the same, but because the lenses have different transmission at a given f-stop, the real world exposure is different.

This is just a theory I have. I do think it would be foolish to try and compare these shots given that they've been taken at a different angle; the lighting is different because of it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow