Will Nikon or Canon offer full frame mirrorless cameras soon?

Started Aug 5, 2016 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,008
Re: too slow to change

justmeMN wrote:

T3 wrote:

I think Canon and Nikon may be too slow to change. The writing is on the wall.

According to Thom Hogan, Canon is already #3 in worldwide mirrorless market share. Apparently their M-to-M3/M10 sell decently in Asian countries. The M5 may bump them up to #2. Time will tell.

I think Nikon should "join the party", and make an APS-C mirrorless camera. That sensor size is where the huge sales volume is.

I just came back from Asia (Japan and Korea). I saw lots of Olympus and Sony mirrorless in use. Olympus OM-D's seemed particularly prevalent. I didn't see any Canon mirrorless.  If Canon is #3, they are most likely a distant #3. The other issue is that the primary usership of the EOS M is at the low end casual user, because that's the only kind of mirrorless equipment that Canon has made up until now. This is a very different type of usership than, say, Fuji or Olympus or Sony, which have extensive systems that can support much more serious users, for quite some time now, and thus have attracted more sophisticated users that are more likely to continue to invest in these systems. I don't think that's the case for the average EOS M buyer, who seems to mainly be a young female casual user in Asia who is unlikely to ever buy an additional lens beyond the kit lens that came with the camera.  Also, the sales success of the M-to-M3/M10 in Asia may not necessarily translate to the M5, because a lot of that popularity comes from the low price point that these cameras sell at.  The M5, on the other hand, is a much more expensive camera, $980 body only. It seems unlikely that the M5 will move the needle much for Canon.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow