How does a Sync port work?

Started Sep 26, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OmarAl New Member • Posts: 21
How does a Sync port work?

Hi guys, how are you all doing?

I'm new here and I'm glad to be part of this forum to have discussions on what we love best!

Of course coming here we all ought to have some sort of knowledge about photography in regards to the cameras itself and everything associated with it. However, the one thing I never really completely understood was the Sync port that you would get on some/many cameras and strobes/flashes, wired or wireless.

What I don't understand of it is, how does it work exactly? Does the camera from the port (or even from the hot-shoe when adapter is used) send a specific signal to the light source to ignite? Does it merely act like a on/off switch?? Or just an electrical signal that would trigger for a light to go off??? I wouldn't know if this is actually a simple or complex case of how this works.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe, if not please do let me know and I'll try to further clarify my question. I do apologize if this may be a bit much for a new comer here.

Thanks all and I sincerely look forward hearing back from you all!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow