Macro Lens on Budget

Started Sep 21, 2016 | Questions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,117
Re: Macro Lens on Budget: Tokina 100/2.8 AT-X

The Tokina 100/2.8 Macro AT-X is not expensive. I started DSLR photography with a bag of pre-owned kit that included this lens, and even though I now have such lenses as the EF 100/2.8L Macro IS and some excellent AI, AI-S, and AF-S Micro-Nikkors, I still like the Tokina for flowers. (I shoot plenty of flowers, as an antidote to the crime scene photography I do while on duty.)

This Tokina has no IS/VC/etc., but hand-held macro is a rather specialized endeavor. Keep in mind that one's own forward-and-rearward movements will play havoc with focusing, anyway, limiting the usefulness of IS/VC at macro distances. (I have to shoot close-range/macro hand-held in some situations, such as hospital ER treatment areas, which can be an exercise in frustration, especially when fatigued or over-caffeinated, requiring great patience.)

To be clear, I am not any kind of expert, and most of my macro images are totally artless.)

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +44 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow