Macro Lens on Budget

Started Sep 21, 2016 | Questions thread
The shootist
The shootist Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Macro Lens on Budget

Hi James
I don't know if you have decided on or have purchased a macro lens yet, but you seemed fairly adamant on getting one with IS, and I'm not saying not to but I thought I would share a few pics taken with my 70d and the Canon 100mm non-IS.
I would've used the 80d but I now keep my Sigma 50-500mm on it.
I'm 73, I have very steady hands but I do sway, my body is always in motion, not that anyone could see it but when looking through a camera it's noticeable.
These were all taken in early July, hand held, no flash, just out walking around my yard.
Lighting was low, so I used a slow shutter speed, to keep ISO in check.
There not the greatest but there not bad, and it shows the potential of using a non IS for macro pics, along with slow shutter speeds.
At the time of purchase I was just like you I wanted the IS version, but at almost twice the price I couldn't see spending the money just to get the IS.
So that's it, I hope this is helpful if you haven't yet made up your mind.
I hope you enjoy the pics, the first is cropped and adjusted, the second is the actual shot untouched.

-- hide signature --

It's no longer the equipment you use that will make you a better photographer, it's the person you look at in the mirror every day.
The Shootist (RETIRED)
http://theshootist.zenfolio.com/

The shootist's gear list:The shootist's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EOS 600D +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow