Panasonic 12-32mm kit lens

Started Sep 24, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ahaslett
ahaslett Forum Pro • Posts: 15,272
Panasonic 12-32mm kit lens

I know that this lens has been much discussed but I often see people recommending it as very sharp.

Just bought an open box GM1 kit for £250 in order to get this lens.  The GM1 body is the orange variant and the kit is gorgeous and handles well.  I normally test new lenses to get some sense of their capabilities.  Just for a change I used a fence!

GM1 12mm wide open

GM1 32mm wide open

EM1 with ZD 12-60SWD at 12mm f/3.5

EM1 at 32mm f/5.6

A7R with Canon 24mm TSE II at f/6.7

My overall conclusion is that the lens is good at 32mm but a little soft for landscape etc at 12mm.  It only gets a little sharper at f/7.1.  Acceptable for the cost and the portability, so a happy new owner.

Wouldn't really describe it as sharp and would recommend the ZD 14-54mm mk II (or mk I on an EM1) as sharper for the cost.  The GM1 + 12-32mm is the ultimate pocket camera.  It's even smaller than the Sigma DP1M.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7R IV +35 more
Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • H-FS12032K
Announced: Oct 17, 2013
ahaslett's score
Average community score
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Sigma DP1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow