Macro Lens on Budget

Started Sep 21, 2016 | Questions thread
Macro guy
Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,027
Re: Macro Lens on Budget

James Larsen wrote:

Macro guy wrote:

James Larsen wrote:

I want to shoot more nature (leaves, water drops, etc. etc. that cliche stuff), so slower autofocus is not really a big deal to me. I'll probably be MFing a lot of my shots anyway.

If that's all you're doing, you don't need IS. Use a tripod. Get a a set of tubes or a budget macro lens (they're all pretty good in terms of IQ in the 90-105 range) and go shooting. Don't be afraid of the tripod.

I'm not afraid of the tripod - just I want to be able to walk around in the woods with just my camera & lens, I like to keep it simple.

I'm considering selling my 24-105 and picking up a used 24-70 f4, as it has the 0.7x macro mode, which would suit my needs.

Ok, here's where there was a disconnect.  When you say "macro", that usually means at least lifesize (1:1), whereas it seems that what you're looking for is closeup photography.  So, if you're happy with 1/2 lifesize magnification, or there about, then you don't have to sell anything.  Just get a closeup filter type of a lens, as the others have suggested, (be sure it's a two element) and use your existing 24-105.  There's no light loss with that setup and it's probably the most cost effective and easiest way to do the things you want to do.

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow