Macro Lens on Budget

Started Sep 21, 2016 | Questions thread
JRET Regular Member • Posts: 493
Re: Macro Lens on Budget

Reading the original posts + replies it appears that you would prefer the Canon 100 f/2.8 IS macro which is truly an outstanding lens that can be used in so many different ways.  Unless you stumble onto a really unique deal that lens will probably remain outside your budget unless you save a little longer.  If you can manage without the IS the non-L 100 f/2.8 macro is essentially equal to the L version in terms of IQ & versatility.

I own both - started with the non-L and was totally pleased with the results but later had the opportunity to buy the L version on sale.  In all honesty I really can't tell the difference in images produced by the 2 lenses.

You mentioned used -- and that is a valid option.  But consider a refurb from the Canon store.  Both are currently in stock - $480 & $720.  A refurb from Canon carries the full 1 year warranty and is not a bad way to go.

Still undecided but I will probably sell my non-L (plus a few other Canon lenses currently not being used) in the near future, mainly to fund some newer glass that I don't currently own.  If you can find a lightly used non-L, especially if it's under $400, that might be your best bet.  Live without IS for awhile and if you really need it, upgrade to the L later on.  Good luck.

JRET's gear list:JRET's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow