Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Contributing Member • Posts: 764
Re: Yes, two attachment points are more stable.

nikonjohn wrote:

Ckon - With the Op/Tech tether, I feel confident that if the BR connector failed, the camera would flop but wouldn't end up on the concrete. Some have questioned why you would want to move away from a neck strap but when you get older and have significant back issues, the BR strap is a good way to redistribute the load. In Vancouver, BC, I could tote my 80-400 in my back pack and comfortably carry my D810 with the 24-70 from my side. When a heron stopped to feed I just changed the lens and shot away.

Agreed, I have an across-the-body strap and it's a lot more comfortable than the old neck strap.  I don't use the tripod mount anymore (because of horror stories like this), and use the camera lug attachment on the left side to said across-the-body strap, and have a paracord wrist strap on the right lug.  The only way I use the tripod mount is on the tripod foot of my 200-500.

Personally though, I like to have at least one hand on my camera at all times for some control over what it's doing.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GO
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow