(MY) Lens options for shooting WL/ bird

Started Sep 18, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ask Mait Contributing Member • Posts: 947
(MY) Lens options for shooting WL/ bird

Hello veteran wildlife and bird photographers, need your advise on a lens selection for me.

I have an opportunity of buying a mint condition "AF-S 500mm F4D ED" for about US$2400 that is available in my city. I checked it out, spoke with the owner and it looks great. But before I move ahead, thought of exploring what my other options could be (within my budget of $2400) and therefore this post.

1. AF-S 500mm F4D ED: I know that this a legacy lens but this is heavy and doesn't have VR. Hard to lug around and without VR dont know how many keepers I can expect.
  2. 200-500 F5.6 + D7200: this new zoom is getting all positive reviews, its light, has vr and being new I get 5 year guarantee/ warrantee too. But being slow (5.6) it may not work effectively with my older bodies (300 and 700) so I will need to buy a newer technology camera body like a D71 or 72. Total cost will be still $2400
  3. 70-300 + D500: The lens is not the best in class, but the low light focusing abilities of D500 could compensate for the slow aperture. Again the total cost is $2400.

much appriciated will be your advice, if you can suggest something other than these three that will be welcome.

Thanks

PS: I am not sure about the product tagging that says AF-S Nikkor f/4D ED-IFII

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow