Good lens at the price point, light, but not the best out there

Started Sep 15, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,494
Good lens at the price point, light, but not the best out there

Obviously, at it's current price point (about $500 new) this is a decent, lightweight, compact lens for the money that offers a great range of focal lengths.  It's not the fastest one out there at an aperture range of f/4.5-5.6, but it is certain worth it in the end as a compact, but versatile and somewhat powerful lens.  Overall, I'm pleased with it.  It appears to deliver decent image quality, but can get more tricky at the long end (300mm; keeping the lens stable enough, but some practice should solve this issue--or use a tripod).  But it's a good super telephoto walkaround lens.  It does have some distortion that needs to be fixed in PS, but this isn't a painful task, as many lenses have some sort of distortion that needs to be addressed in post processing (unless you want the distorted look).

Overall, I'm pleased with the lens, because of it's versatility (range of focal lengths) and it's price, not to mention its light weight.  I would recommend this to someone who was looking for a decent focal length range, but didn't want to settle on the more expensive 70-200 (the lens to really have), or one of the larger and/or heavier models.

Obviously, at this price point and size, it has its flaws, but I can't seem to find many to not recommend it.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 GoPro Hero7 Black GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +12 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Telephoto zoom lens • Nikon F (FX) • 2161
Announced: Aug 9, 2006
sirhawkeye64's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow