AF fine tune and focus shift for fast lenses

Started Sep 12, 2016 | Discussions thread
jopezu
jopezu Contributing Member • Posts: 611
Re: AF fine tune and focus shift for fast lenses

I was taking some photos in the garden last weekend, with an AI 105/2.5 lens on a D4 body. Even at f/5.6, if I focused the lens for best sharpness on the viewscreen, the image turned out severely back-focused. It was very frustrating, I can assure you! I had to resort to using the AF dot indicators to obtain correct manual focus.

i'd had the same exact experience. toiling with the diopter didn't seem to help either. it seems like there's a substantial range of apparent sharpness in the viewfinder that the actual focus point will fall into (often on the outer edges as in your case).

it must have been a real joy to use older split-prism viewfinders with manual glass and gunning your shots down by hand. pdaf is fantastic, but when it does fail (like i've experienced in extremely warm incandescent lighting) it does so to a magnitude that i can't help but feel that i'd have been able to overcome with a decent viewfinder that allowed accurate manual focus.

-- hide signature --

"it would help to have photo samples with exif"

jopezu's gear list:jopezu's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow