AF fine tune and focus shift for fast lenses

Started Sep 12, 2016 | Discussions thread
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,788
Re: AF fine tune and focus shift for fast lenses

Ferguson wrote:

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Lens focus shift isn't seen by the AF system.

Starting with models released in 2014, Nikon added a compensation feature to AF, which basically works by biasing the fine-tune value according to which aperture the lens will be taking the image at. This requires the camera to have tables of focus-shift values for various lenses. Cameras made prior to that time, have no such compensation and must be fine-tuned using compromised settings.

I had never heard that.

It's one of Nikon's "silent upgrades" that they've done over the years without mention in any product literature.

Is that also in the lens distortion database that's in the second firmware file?

Unknown at this time, but I'm hoping that it is, so new lens models will not require all camera firmware to be updated.

And is that only in models since 2014? Or firmware (e.g. D4 and D800 were 2013 but have later firmware updates)?

I haven't checked to be sure, but my suspicion is that firmware upgrades to older models do not include the feature.

I need to go back now and experiment with the 85/1.4. I used a D800 to do my initial testing, I'll give it a go with the D5.

That's a good idea.

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow