Broken focus on 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR ?

Started Sep 11, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
PeterL6312
PeterL6312 Regular Member • Posts: 436
Broken focus on 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR ?

Hi,

I just recently bought my first Nikon gear and today it seemed that focus broke on my 70-300 lens. I bought it used a couple of months ago, it seemed to be in very good condition.

If I moved the manual focus ring, the meter in the window only moved between closest up to 7,5ft, it was more or less the same when using AF mounted on my D700 body.

However now this evening after trying moving the focus ring back and forth without any success, I then again mounted it on the body again moving both VR switches back and forth, turing the focus ring, testing AF, then suddenly it seems to focus again and I can use the focus ring also !

However, when I turn the focus ring from closest to infinity I can hear a loud click more or less att the place where it before did not go any further and when I move it back the click sounds again not on the same place though.

It's also odd that even if I reach each end of focus, I can continue to move the focus ring, I haven't used manual focus on this lens before so I don't know if its used to be like that  (my 50 1.8G stops on each endpoint)

So my questions are:

Is my leans cracking ?

Do anyone know if this kind of defect is worth repairing on such cheap lens ?

Thanks Peter

PeterL6312's gear list:PeterL6312's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow