Best Backcountry Gear? Mirrorless vs DSLR vs P/S

Started Sep 11, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ThomCull Regular Member • Posts: 179
Best Backcountry Gear? Mirrorless vs DSLR vs P/S

Traditionally I've used a Canon 50D with a 50mm and a 50-200 for almost all of my photos. The camera is solid, I enjoy the ergonomics, and it has never failed me. That said I have recently picked up a Nikon Coolpix A and have really enjoyed the portability that the camera brings to the table and I have slowly stopped using the Canon in favour of the Nikon solely due to size and convenience.

I'm looking to upgrade the or change systems in the new year; my thoughts are the Fuji XT1, Pentax K3 II or Canon 7D mkII, or maybe a full frame compact SLR. I have limited lenses invested in the Canon ecosystem and quite frankly the size of Canon lenses is leading me to the Pentax or smaller Fuji which have their own drawbacks such as battery life or total lens selection.

Do you hike or paddle backcountry? What is your preferred system? I'm looking for a smaller system with minimum APSC sized sensors and good battery life. My gut says the Fuji but I tried a Pentax ansld really enjoyed their ergonomics and lens selection.

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow