I have gone back to the a7

Started Aug 13, 2016 | Discussions thread
naththo Contributing Member • Posts: 896
Re: Nope

blue_skies wrote:

mike geier wrote:

Having owned the a7, a7r, a7II and a7rII, I have gone back to the a7. In my opinion the a7 produces images equal to its higher megapixel counterparts and having a substantially smaller footprint than its newer brothers, and being smaller and lighter, makes for a better travel companion.

I have compared my images made by all four cameras, and see almost no differences. This combined with the totally more manageable smaller file sizes makes it a "no contest" at least for me.

Just curious, does anybody agree with me?

If you compare these four cameras purely based on a picture of the street, taken out of your window on a tripod, and viewed at full image view on a monitor, sure, I think that they will appear identical. Heck, under these circumstances even the A6000 may keep up.

If you have owned all four cameras, and used with prime lenses under low light, you must have observed a number of things. On the top of my head:

• Sensor resolution: A7rII > A7r > A7ii = A7
  • DR & Low ISO: A7rII > A7r > A7ii = A7
  • Low light (sensor reflection, not ISO): A7rII > A7ii > A7r > A7
  • IBIS: A7rII = A7ii > A7r = A7
  • Eye-Af: A7rII dyn > A7ii stat > A7r = A7 no
  • Operational speed: A7ii > A7rII > A7 > A7r
  • Size: A7 = A7r < A7ii = A7rII
  • Metal mount: A7rII = A7r yes > A7 = A7ii no
  • LA-EA3/MC-11/Canon-EF - fast focus: A7rII = A7ii yes > A7r = A7 no
  • EVF: A7rII = A7ii = A7 yes > A7r no

And I can go on. Firmware updates have helped the A7 and A7r to stay current, and they remain respectable cameras. If this works for you great. Meanwhile, progress that has gone into both the A7ii and A7rII give you access to new technology that can be used for your benefit. In some cases this can be a minor thing, in other cases a major thing.

A blanket statement that it is a "no contest" and other comments that you made, simply implies ".... for you".

Do accept that others may disagree. And also do consider that the innovation that went into the A7ii and A7rII was largely driven by feedback from the community back to Sony, and Sony 'frantically' upgraded a myriad of issues (SW and HW).

I don't know which lenses you have, but having gone through all four camera bodies, I must assume that you have more than the kit zoom lens, and must have observed some of the differences between these bodies?

In summary, my 'best use' for each of these cameras:

• Landscape photography (tripod): A7r
  • Basic FF entry (lowest cost): A7
  • All-round amateur: A7ii
  • All-round pro: A7rII
  • Low light junkies: A7rII

I am not including the A7s and A7sII, as this goes in to video, and I also did not comment on the 2K versus 4K camera setups. The A7rII is a big step in this regards as well.

If the A7 works well for you, then great. Enjoy it!

Henry, you are very wrong. A7 was not an entry camera when this first FF came out. It was just FF by itself default. And it cost a lot more in Australia than what you pay for in USA. So this is not an entry camera. A7R is just a special camera for more megapixel, that's about it.
A7RII is NOT a professional camera as well. It is no where as near as Canon 1DX and Nikon D5.
Calling A7ii amateur, are you stupid? That is just ridiculous statement you made!
Unbelievable!

naththo's gear list:naththo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow