Entering Fuji X Series. Currently looking for a prime lens for general purposes.

Started Aug 20, 2016 | Questions thread
ChesterY New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Entering Fuji X Series. Currently looking for a prime lens for general purposes.

Now, I have my eyes on these three lenses: Fujinon 35mm f/2, 16mm f/1.4, and 56mm f/1.2 (a bit expensive for me). I have noticed that in many forums or lens buying guide, I need to know what kind of photo I want to take. However, I don't really know what specific types of shot that I would prefer. I am more a "I'll use my phone camera on whatever looks good or dope" and a "capturing moments during trips with friends and family" kind of noob. Also, I don't really do selfies, (a picture with my looks and my camera skill would only terrify people).

All the suggestions of using the 18-55mm kit zoom are sound, but you're obviously going to sacrifice low-light capability and also optical sharpness.

I tend to use and switch fixed lenses as needed. And if I had to pick a single focal length, I would go with a 35mm (in 35mm-e terms).  For my X-T1, I have the 27mm f/2.8 Pancake, the 35mm f/1.4, the 56mm f/1.2, the Zeiss Touit 12mm, and the 18-55mm.  I am usually using the 35mm f/1.4 or the 56mm f/1.4 on my X-T1. The reason I don't have a Fuji 23mm is because I have that range "covered" with my X100S.  But I'm thinking about getting the 23mm f/1.4 whenever I upgrade to an X-Pro2 or X-T2, then more or less retiring the X100S.

I think most iPhone lenses are equivalent to 35mm in 35mm-e terms.  So keep that in mind.  But also keep in mind that the minimum focal length is a good deal further for X-mount lenses than they are for your phone.

To me, 35mm equivalent is the best compromise between wide and normal.  But, in 35mm-e terms, 28mm, 35mm, 40-50mm can all be nice choices, depending on what you shoot and how you shoot.  The 56mm f/1.2 is an incredible lens, but unless you're mostly shooting portraits or mostly shooting people from further afar, then you should probably save that for your 2nd or 3rd lens purchase.

ChesterY's gear list:ChesterY's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 III Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-T1 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow