Foveon Comparison (careful, large image -20mb-)

Started Aug 29, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
motionride Regular Member • Posts: 202
Foveon Comparison (careful, large image -20mb-)

CAREFUL, 20MB Large file

Hi everyone,

I´ve decided to post a very unscientific comparison of all the Foveon sensors to date.

It is just one file and includes the same image taken at most a few minutes apart due to lens switching to each camera.

Cameras used:

Polaroid x530 (no lens switching required)

Sigma SD9
Sigma SD10
Sigma SD14
Sigma SD15 (sorry, unfortunately I used ISO 200)
Sigma SD1M
Sigma SDQ

Lens used Sigma EX 28-70mm F2.8 DF

All cameras (apart from SD15) were set to ISO 100 with Aperture priority with the same lens (not necessarily the same crop) and Aperture set to f8.

The images were developed in SPP 6.4 and ACR (Polaroid). + futher tweeking in Photoshop.

I am not going to further comment on any of the cameras but let one thing be said, the SDQ is a beast of a camera, very fast and responsive and the focus is spot on even with older lenses (although a bit on the slow side).

Unfortunately I had about 1 hours with it since a friend lend it to me and it was an extremely hot day. Too hot to be able to function properly and keep track of the settings.

So the unfortunate thing is that I didn´t check the settings on all the cameras which lead to a few mistakes. SD15 ISO 200, SDQ spot metering.

The friend with the SDQ is going to be in Canada for a holiday so I won´t be able to compare it to the SD1M within the next few weeks but I will promise another Shootout with all the cameras.

You can edit, crop, destroy, recreate, hate, love the image(s) as you like.

Cheers,

Jan

Here the link to the comparison image. (I believe it is best to right click and download the image and view in your desired viewer.)

http://www.d-motions.de/sigma/FoveonComp.jpg

motionride's gear list:motionride's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +24 more
Nikon Df Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow