Resurrecting an ancient printer

Started Aug 29, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OzRay
OzRay Forum Pro • Posts: 19,428
Resurrecting an ancient printer

After my IPF5000 died utterly and completely, now even refusing to turn on, and after checking that parts alone would cost at least $1500 to get it working again, I've decided that it is now going to the tip. I don't think I could bother seeing if anyone wants to take it away for free.

So I took my old Canon i9950 printer out of the closet, where it's been sitting now for around eight years, to see whether it would work again. I fired it up and ran a test print, which came out not so good and ran out of two ink carts at the same time. I had a spare for one, but had to order some more and went for a cheap eBay set of eight for $16.

When the new inks arrived, I ran a pattern check and then a clean and, surprisingly, it wasn't too bad. So I did full print and the colours were somewhat off, but there were no obvious print nozzle issues. Following that, I did an printer calibration exercise with my X-Rite Color Munki and once that was done, using Capture One Pro, I did another print.

I was both gobsmacked and mighty pleased, as the result was as good as you could get from a new printer, a perfect representation of the screen image, with no artifacts or defects. I cannot believe that such an old printer that hasn't been used in at least eight years can still put out a quality print and using third party inks.

I've been pondering whether to get a new large format pigment ink printer, but I've got prints produced by the i9950 from when I bought it that still haven't faded (that's not to say third party inks will last that long). Other than the size of prints that the i9950 can produce (and I like to print large), it's a not a bad printer and, nowadays, very cheap to run.

I've had print deprivation for several months and at least now have some relief for the time being.

-- hide signature --

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
http://australianimage.com.au/wordpress/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow