I hate Sony and its firmware updates - Bricked again!

Started Aug 13, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ninjapimp Contributing Member • Posts: 524
I hate Sony and its firmware updates - Bricked again!

So today I noticedc there was a firmware update for my sony A7R bringing it to 3.20

I hesistated at first considering I've bricked my sony a7r twice, once was on the very first update they offered and than another a year later. in both cases the camera was left with a red led light and camera was useless.

first time, camera was under warranty so i sent it and 2 weeks later go it back in working order, no big deal.

2nd time, however the camera was now out of warranty and cost me $450 to send to camera precision to fix it.

now a 3rd time while updating to 3.20, this time it was a bit different, the red light remaining and the updater never completed. I let it sit for nearly 2 hours with no progress at all, nothing.

i've tried everything to recover it but its bricked now I have to pay another $450 to get it fixed. thats nearly $1k for a problem not caused by me but by sonys firmware update.

i have 3 yr warranty on my sony a7rII but never bothered with the older one as its just a backup. i'm kicking myself....i was going to burning man with it and i leave monday so i have no time to mail it for repairs plus it really hurts i have to spend $450 to repair something thats prob not worth over $1k anymore and wont get it back in time before I need to depart.

if firmware causes bricking why can't it be a free repair?? why do I have to pay for sonys mistake??

argh i hate sony.

beware 3.20 firmware udpate bricked my camera. only reason i wanted to update is because it said faster turn on time which is what i really want. mine is super slow to turn on, takes 3 to 5s before i can take a picture. i can't tell ya how many times i've missed shots because of this.

ninjapimp's gear list:ninjapimp's gear list
Sony a7R Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow