Using a Sony HVL-F32M as an off camera flash WITH AN UMBRELLA

Started Aug 11, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rt photography
rt photography New Member • Posts: 6
Using a Sony HVL-F32M as an off camera flash WITH AN UMBRELLA

Okay, I am pretty well-versed at using Google and the Internet at large to find answers to questions, but I have been looking for an answer to this question and have been unable to find one so far.

I have a Sony A7II with the HVL-F32M used as a wireless flash off-camera. What I cannot figure out/find is how to attach the flash to a mount that can also:

1) attach to a typical 1/4 pin

2) also hold an umbrella

I know I can use the small plastic stand to attach the flash to the 1/4 pin on my light stand, but I need it to attach to a mount that can also hold an umbrella.

I want to learn more about using a one-light technique for lighting, but this is vexing me.

I bought a cheap speed light flash shoe mount thing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/142012386886?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) before realizing it doesn't work for Sony flashes due to the difference in the shoe.  Fine, it was cheap, no biggie.  But I have been unable to either

1) find an adapter to make it fit, or

2) find a mount that works for the Sony/Minolta shoe

I have seen many different adapters, but none of them are clear that they work for what I am trying to do.  I have no interest in trial-and-error and having to return a dozen things that don't work.  I know there are many, many photographers who are already using this system.  HELP!

Thank you in advance.

rt photography's gear list:rt photography's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow