My PL100-400 does not like shutter shock

Started Aug 8, 2016 | Discussions thread
Thomas Kachadurian
Thomas Kachadurian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,653
Re: My PL100-400 does not like shutter shock

Impulses wrote:

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

I have a question for anyone who knows. Why not just use the e shutter? I've been using it almost exclusively on my gx8 for the silent operation, and I see no negative results.

I used it with a 100-300 at 1/250 for surfing and the shots looked good (more than I can say for the surfers).

Whats the downside that takes people back to the mechanical shutter?

tom

E shutter can result in rolling shutter distortion and/or banding under the flicker of artificial lighting.

The latter can be countered with shutter speed but the former is unavoidable (when using e-shutter) if your subject is moving fast enough across the frame and/or you're panning (less noticeable, if present at all, with humans and non uniform subjects/backgrounds).

Certain Panasonic bodies also step down to 10 bit output when using e-shutter, resulting in more noise.

So it's a perfect solution for some scenarios and cameras, just not all.

Thanks. I've seen the light thing a few times, but never rolling distortion.  But maybe I don't know what it looks like.

tom

-- hide signature --

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Thomas Kachadurian's gear list:Thomas Kachadurian's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow