Wonderful Ergonomics

Started Aug 9, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thomdp New Member • Posts: 2
Wonderful Ergonomics

I have been shooting with the d810 as my primary body and decided to try the d5500 based on a few blogs I follow that suggested it was actually a very capable camera squeezed into a VERY small package. I could not agree more.

My first impression after un-boxing the body was how incredibly light it felt in my hand. I mounted an af-s 20mm 1.8g on it and immediately knew I had made the right choice with this body. The grip and button logic are really fantastic. I was worried that the lack of external controls would be a major hassle. It is not. I very quickly became accustomed to the controls and now feel like I have quick and easy access to almost every function.

The dynamic range and high ISO performance is just fantastic for a DX body. Do I lose something from the 810? Absolutely, but not nearly as much as I would have thought.

The D5500 rewards high quality glass. If Nikon had marketed this as a high end mirrorless alternative with the Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR no one would have complained one bit. As I see it with this camera you have almost all of the benefits of mirrorless, plus all of the native nikon glass. Truly fantastic. If you are on the fence with this one, don't be. Get it.

Fish Tacos, 20mm 1.8g, d5500

Blue Grass on the beach, Lake Tahoe. 24-120mm F4, D5500

Nikon D5500
24 megapixels • 3.2 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Jan 6, 2015
Thomdp's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon D5500 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow