My PL100-400 does not like shutter shock

Started Aug 8, 2016 | Discussions thread
CrisPhoto
OP CrisPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,669
Re: My PL100-400 does not like shutter shock

Helen wrote:

Thank you for the excellent and thorough test, which is very informative and educational.

Two little things I could add: the E-M5 Mark II and Pen-F have even less potential for vibration when in 0-sec Anti Shock mode if the Release Lag is set to short, as otherwise though the first curtain doesn't run at all prior to the exposure, as you stated, the shutter cocking mechanism does emit quite a hefty clunk. Setting lag to short moves that clunk to the end of the previous exposure instead.

Secondly, I thought I should point out that the GX8's mechanical shutter is unfortunately nothing like the GX80/GX85's new, reduced-vibration unit. The GX8 has a conventional shutter much like the one in the GX7 - it is very sharp and loud, with quite a lot of potential for vibration.

Oh yes, you are a very good observer. I forgot to mention!!!!

I always use ReleaseLag=short.

Regarding the GX8, while it has a quite traditional shutter, a separate test with a borrowed GX8 showed that while it is not silent, this shutter works better with my 100-400 than my EM1.

PL100-400 and mechanical shutter of different cameras (for example GX8)

The 300mm lines are blurry because manual focus was difficult and because I had to use a mirror (as my house does not offer 20m straight distance). Even the best mirror I found does not have the optical quality needed ...

-- hide signature --

OM-D + Sam7.5, PL15, O60, O75
P7-14, O12-40, O40-150, PL100-400

CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow