The best lens of them all!

Started Aug 7, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,306
The best lens of them all!

My wife had one of the very first of these wonders that arrived in Europe, and I got mine about two years later, so even I have had mine too for quite a while now!

First, it is one of the sharpest lenses I own, and it is really good in its long end as well, amazingly so. It has the latest VR, the latest nano coating, fits easily in a pocket being about 4" folded up (about 100mm), weighs less than a kilogram with a camera attached, and has very, very, good flare resistance. And the VR is very impressive as well.

I own, or have owned, the Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR, the Tamron 70-300 VC, and this lens, and I've used all three on CX cameras. As far as I can judge from my own photos, and those of my wife, who is a better photographer than me, the 70-300CX is the best of them all, even if the Tamron isn't bad (as long as you avoid flare issues — shooting with the sun behind you, and avoid strong light sources shining down the lens barrel — it is very decent, if not quite as crisp as the 70-300CX).

I've heard of one failure as yet (where the locking button failed, so the lens stayed folded up), that is the only one, and that was easily fixed by Nikon.

This lens have a lovely Bokeh, especially in the long end, and work very well with a 10mm extension tube, if you're interested in more serious macro photography — close ups are easily done with the lens without any add-ons.

For a long time I had the new version of the Nikon 80-400 VR, and using these two lenses side by side, each with a Nikon 1 V2 attached, there was very little between the two — to my eyes they were just as good at 300mm, and that is quite amazing as the 80-400 then costed close to two-and-half as much as the 70-300CX.

After intensive use (several thousand shots, most of them outdoors) I have a little dust in the front part of the lens, but as yet it has not affected its sharpness one bit.

Used with the J5 it proves to have even more resolution than I could imagine!

-- hide signature --

Tord_2 (at) photographer (dot) net
Mostly Nikon V1, V2, J5, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Telephoto zoom lens • Nikon 1 • 3345
Announced: Mar 13, 2014
Tord S Eriksson's score
Average community score
Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow