Will Nikon or Canon offer full frame mirrorless cameras soon?

Started Aug 5, 2016 | Discussions thread
MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,987
Re: Will Nikon or Canon offer full frame mirrorless cameras soon?

This is only my opinion but I don't think there will be a dedicated full frame MILC from Canon or Nikon.  There are a coupe of reasons why I think this is true.

First is that FF MILCs are not the small, light cameras we were told are coming.  The main reason for this is that the quality lenses being offered for these cameras are the same size and weigh as their DSLR counterparts.  In some cases they are actually larger and heavier.  For a camera to function well in the hand it needs to be balanced with the lens attached to it.  This leads me to believe that any serious FF MILC will have to have a body that is able to handle well with a large, heavy lens.  So the size advantage for FF MILC is nullified.

Second is that FF DSLRs are merging the best qualities of FF MILCs into the DSLR bodies.  Over time I think the DSLRs will offer the best of both worlds regarding performance.  One will be able to lock up the mirror and have essentially a MILC in hand.  Especially if an EVF is integrated into a DSLR body along with an OVF.  Looking at the latest from Canon, the 1DX2, I can see this merging taking place.  It is in its infancy but it is occurring.

Time will tell if I am right but I hope I am.  I think the FF DSLR will consume the FF MILC over time.  In the APS-C world I am not so sure as the size advantage for MILCs is still intact.  I am curious to see what Canon offers as a replacement for the M3.  If it is a real competitor to the A6300 then we know Canon is planning to be a serious player in the APS-C MILC market.  I think it will be quite a while, if ever, before we see a FF MILC from Canon or Nikon.  The fact they haven't produced one by now tells me that they see a different path for FF DSLRs and FF MILCs than Sony and the other players see.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow