Awesome BUT make sure you run 3.2

Started Aug 6, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
abracadabenhotmailfr Contributing Member • Posts: 802
Awesome BUT make sure you run 3.2

ok so I brought the lens back home and tried it on AF-C. after 10mins I could not believe it was that bad. I thought either I had a lemon or something was wrong.
Focusing was really bad, breathing a lot, unable to acquire focus reliably on 60% shots out of focus. Impossible to acquire eye focus on A7Rii

I was ready to return it.

Then, I checked my A7Rii firmware version (2.0) and went for a quick upgrade.

Tried the lens again and it was night and day. The focus was way faster, super accurate. No more focus breathing. no more bothering sound.

I LOVE THAT LENS.

Been shooting a lot with canon 85 1.2L Mii which is 1 of 2 lenses I missed from my cannon days (with the 70-200 2.8L IS Mii).

Im pretty confident in saying that the Sony lenses at least matches the canon. I do find the focus a lot better and faster. I can't compare rendering side by side but I can say it has the same WOW effect to me. I find it a little sharper (but could also be the A7Rii MP> to 5fMkiii).
Its also lighter than the canon 85L.

The manual focus is a dream on the A7 combo with focus peaking and zoom and the focus lock button on the lens.

I really wanted the batis for the size but PQ of the GM is just outstanding. It will definitely become a reference along with the canon and zeiss Otus (which I never tried but seems to live its reputation)

Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
Telephoto prime lens • Sony FE
Announced: Feb 3, 2016
abracadabenhotmailfr's score
Average community score
Sony a7 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow