This is it!

Started Aug 4, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pshummer Regular Member • Posts: 106
This is it!

I've been looking for a wide angle zoom lens for a while to replace my DX Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Since my camera is D800 I really needed a FX lens. My purpose to own a wide angle zoom is to do landscape, astrophotography, architecture and environmental portrait. Last year,I rented a Nikon 14-24 to do astrophotography and it went quite well and I really liked it. But this lens still costs quite a bit even for an used one and finding a good used one with a descent price is difficult ,and I just can not afford a brand new.

I found a like new condition Tamron 15-30 for less than $900. Compared to the Nikon 14-24, this lens is bigger and heavier so if the weight is a big issue for you, this is not the lens for you. But mounted on my D800, it just feels good in my hand and I don't use a neck strap to carry it. I use a Blackrapid and the weight issue became no longer the issue. I just have to be careful about not bumping the lens/camera into something.

AF is fast and quiet and it's sharp @ wideopen. I read the review @ photographylife and that's the main reason why I chose the Tamron 15-30 over the Nikon 14-24. Sharpness @ wideopen is very important to me since I use it for astrophotography. From my limited shootings, this lens delivers sharp image @ wideopen. I haven't been able to do astrophotography, especially milky way, yet. 15-24mm @ f2.8, it's sharp throughout the frame but it gets a little soft@ 30mm. I have a little trouble with it VC. I'm used to the Nikon VR in that when you press the shutter half-way, you'll see the image drift a little. With the Tamron 15-30,I don't see the image drift at all but I can hear a humm sound from the lens. Tamron said that I should see the image drift when VC is activated so I'm a bit concerned about my lens VC function. Nonetheless,  I was able to take a sharp image @1/13 sec. so I guess its VC is working. My hands are not rock steady so I can't take a sharp Image slower than 1/10 sec.

The only con for me is the filter. Like the Nikon 14-24, this lens doesn't have a filter thread and it needs a special filter holder and the filter holder+ND/polarizer filter are expensive and I can not afford it right now.

For its built quality ,performance, VC and its price,  I think I got the right lens I've been looking for. This is a winner!!!

pshummer's gear list:pshummer's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +2 more
Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Wideangle zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha DT • A012
Announced: Sep 12, 2014
pshummer's score
Average community score
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow