Good quality monopod/head?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Powerstroke2000 Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: The single point of failure

Interesting read on this topic, as I purchase a carbon fibre monopod, and 'have' taken it out, but had my tripod as well, and opted to use the tripod over the monopod...so have yet to actually use it!

In saying that, I would like to get a head for the monopod, but since I'm one of the 'enthusiasts' out in the world of photography, an expensive head is just not in the cards.   My tripod is a good manfrotto of which has a good monfroto head, but I'm thinking of experimenting with a cheap Chinese made swivel head.  I'm wondering if it's more of an issue with low tolerances within their heads, thus lower longevity of the head itself which would be the reason for not buying 'quality' or the 'only buy North American'?   For those that make $$ in photography, buying the best you can afford makes sense, but when we now seeing CNC machined heads that come with a quick release plate for anywhere between $20. - $35. experimenting with one seems to make some sense.   It wouldn't be used 'often' as I tend to use my tripod over the monopod for the majority of my shots, other than the hand-held...but I'd be interested in hearing if any of you have already experimented with low cost ball heads, and if you've found them to be a satisfactory head for the odd time you might use your monopod?

-- hide signature --

Still trying to get better...

Powerstroke2000's gear list:Powerstroke2000's gear list
Nikon D750
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow