Do wide angle lenses typically have much higher distortion on full frames than on crop sensors?

Started Aug 1, 2016 | Discussions thread
Bob Wolf
Bob Wolf Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Do wide angle lenses typically have much higher distortion on full frames than on crop sensors?

Kristada673 wrote:

I have a Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 lens, which I considered to be my best lens when I had my DX camera. It was sharp, and had very little distortion, and vignetting too. Here is a sample shot taken with my Nikon D70 at, well, not 28mm, but 31mm which is quite close, but since I can't find a shot I took at 28mm which also has 2 parallel lines at the edges to compare the distortion with, here it is:

Hardly any distortion. Well, I recently bought a D610, and since this is a FX lens, I put it on and took it for a ride. All the pictures at the widest angles produce horrible distortion! (And noticeable vignetting too, but that's manageable.) Here is a sample shot taken with the lens aligned to the centre of the board from a distance of 1m:

As you can see, its horrendous. Is this normal with all 24-70mm lenses? If no, if the distortion is vastly improved, I'd replace this with the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. If yes, well, I don't know what to do then.

I ran these thru  DxO Viewpoint 2.  Since I didn't have the modules for the particular lens used, which would have helped with barrel distortion, etc.

Bob

Bob Wolf's gear list:Bob Wolf's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow