D750 vs D610 - Portrait photographer

Started Jul 29, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kithic Junior Member • Posts: 46
D750 vs D610 - Portrait photographer

Hi all! First of all, thank you in advance for any thoughts, opinions and suggestions!!

I am considering upgrading and and not sure what the best choice is here.

I shoot portraits, mainly newborns and young kids. Natural light only and do not use any sort of flash, so occasionally, my newborn shoots will have less than ideal lighting if the client's windows aren't large or bright enough. However, generally the baby is asleep and not a moving target.

I currently have a d7000, sometimes the focus is super sharp and spot on, sometimes I'll end up with a whole session that's on the soft side. All shot with 50mm 1.8. I usually stay around 2.8, sometimes 3.2.
(I've always suspected a focus issue with my d7000 since I first bought it.. It was serviced by nikon a few times and calibrated with my lens once.. Never really got better. AF fine tune helps a little.)

I also tend to focus and re-compose. I'm not generally one for moving the focus icon around..

Soo, all that being said, I'm not sure what's best choice. I'll also likely be moving to the Nikon 50mm 1.4D.

What I hear about the d610 that concerns me is that there aren't enough cross type focus points. Which at this point, may not be a huge concern, but it might be about time to learn to move the focus point around instead of using the center and focusing and re-composing..

I also hear that the d750 is better at focusing in low light. While I won't be shooting in super low light all that much, what if I have a client with not much lighting? Will the d7500 make that much of a difference?

Are the d610/d750 significantly better, low-light wise, than the d7000?

And will full-frame be difficult to adjust to?

Nikon D610 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow