What tripod head for birding?

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
doonie Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Re: What tripod head for birding?

Alton (TN) wrote:

I've looked at the Wimberly gimbal heads but they are a little pricey right now after recent photography related purchases.

What inexpensive but effective tripod head do you guys use/recommend. I'm not a pro, but I still want something sturdy and functional.

I can't afford $6000 for a big lens right now either, but I do have the 100-400L, 300 F4L, 70-200L, etc. So even though I don't have the bigger lens now, I hope to have them someday and want to have a good birding tripod system to use with what I do have.

I'm willing to pay around $400 but will save more for the $700 Wimberly/Jobo systems if necessary.

But, is that necessary?

There's a saying,  " There's nothing more expensive than buying a cheap Mercedes". I've found this to be true of tripods and heads also. If I would have just bought the Wimberly and Gitzo right from the start instead of going through the numerous iterations that I figured would be "good enough" I would have saved money in the long run. I've been using the full on Wimberly for about 5 years now and I'll never look back and never even think about replacing.

doonie's gear list:doonie's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow