Sony A7RII Buffer speed shooting raw, Single shot, once per second.. can't keep up??

Started Jul 25, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MeHoo New Member • Posts: 3
Sony A7RII Buffer speed shooting raw, Single shot, once per second.. can't keep up??

So, I am looking into ways to speed up the buffer clearing speed on the A7RII.  I am shooting a rather odd way compared to most uses for the camera, in that I do not need burst speed, nor do I need brackets to be fast; I just need the camera to shoot at least once a second, raw, focus and shoot again another second later.  This is actually not currently possible for some reason, no matter how fast of a card I use.  After 15or so shots, it just starts lagging out, and turns into a waiting game.  I have, of course done tons of research and found the buffer speed to be the issue, but I was wondering.. what are the alternatives?  I am shooting where I need the full bit depth, single shot, and I am often times sitting there holding the focus, waiting for the camera to fire the shot.  This makes many automated approaches to the camera impossible.  Has anyone found any issues with intervalometers operating at this speed?

I am not shooting RAW + Jpeg, as I just need the raw.  I am using the fastest SD cards that have been tested and are not just a waste of money (there is a limit to the speed of the camera after-all).  I have tried other cards, different brands and can confirm is it the camera.  I do not think my camera is faulty.

Just curious if there is a workaround that has been discovered yet.  Shooting tethered any faster?  Is there a half-res raw option or something?

Any information is appreciated.  I have seen a lot of posts, but I have not heard anything about a possible firmware fix or hardware solution just yet.  This seems like  a huge problem for shooters like myself, which, as I admitted.. I am probably in a rare group.

Thanks in advance!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
juj
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow