E-PL6 Infinity Focus and the LCD Zoom

Started Jul 18, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
JamiesonS New Member • Posts: 13
E-PL6 Infinity Focus and the LCD Zoom

The E-PL6 is my first non point-n-shoot camera and I'm struggling a bit obtaining infinity focus in nighttime conditions.  In particular I'm trying to obtain some night sky shots and pictures of the moon.  I realize my little kit lens isn't the best tool for the job but I'm sure some decent shots are possible.

I've been trying to use the 'distant streetlight' approach to obtain infinity focus and then recompose the shot... but that's hit and miss and makes things much more complicated than they should be.

When trying to get a shot of the moon, I've got the camera in manual, adjusted my aperture and shutter accordingly and am using spot metering.  The LCD shows the approximation of the shot... I can see the brightness of the moon attenuated and it looks close to being in focus... but the auto focus is not getting it right.  Now if I manually adjust the focus ring I have the camera set to zoom the image to assist with eyeballing the focus... the biggest problem is that as soon as it zooms the image, all of the exposure approximation is lost on the LCD... then moon is suddenly insanely bright against a dark sky and there is no way to see if you're in focus since all detail is blown out of the image.

Is there a way to keep the LCD exposure display the same when using the focus ring zoom feature?

JamiesonS's gear list:JamiesonS's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-P505 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus PEN E-PL6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow