Delightful, but a bit on the heavy side

Started Jul 14, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,306
Delightful, but a bit on the heavy side

I've had my Sigma 150-600 Sport for a while, replacing my  80-400 AF-S, a lens I loved, to begin with, but even that was a bit heavy to carry around all day. So I wanted a lens with longer reach, but fast focusing - the Sport fits that bill perfectly.

The Sport is roughly twice as heavy as the 80-400 Af-S, and really need a tripod, especially when used with a CX camera attached. At 1/500 sec, and higher, it is recommended to use it with VR off. So perfect to use from a hide, sitting in a garden, on a front porch, or similar place.

It really shines in normal use, with very accurate, very fast, auto-focus, and it is really sharp, even at 600mm (but even better at 500). With the TC-1401 tele converter you'll get a 850/9.0 lens, which works very well with a DX camera attached (it then becomes the equivalent to a 1,300mm lens on a FX camera).

Occasionally, I use it handheld, OS on (naturally), but its weight and size makes it easier using it sitting down. So I don't think it is a good walkabout lens, at least not for me, who is a bit elderly, and slightly disabled.

The main irritant is the very hefty lens hood (weighing almost a pound, over 300 grams), and that zooming involves a great shift of the Centre of Gravity, so you need a good ball head, or gimbal (I use my Wimberley Sidekick), on a rigid tripod.

I've added a Sirui Arca-Swiss-style 150mm long rail to the super-smooth tripod foot to make it easier to balance the lens. This works like a charm!

If you have a heavier camera, like a D4, I'm sure it balances better, than it does with my D3300, or V2 + FT1 adapter!

In short, an impressive lens, but a little on the heavy side.

-- hide signature --

Tord_2 (at) photographer (dot) net
Mostly Nikon V1, V2, J5, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S
Lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sigma SA Bayonet • 740
Announced: Sep 12, 2014
Tord S Eriksson's score
Average community score
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D3300 Nikon D4 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow