French Magazine Setup is the Answer

Started Jul 11, 2016 | Discussions thread
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,237
Re: Some care is necessary

Roland Karlsson wrote:

awaldram wrote:

So the K1 fails a test it's specification didn't imply it would pass .... Mmmm !!!

Look here

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/feature/05.html

I assume this is an as good spec we can get what it is assumed to handle.

My interpretation is that DPR test 1 should it handle and that the text is a bit to fuzzy regarding xy handling, but I get the imression that they may claim that also.

Under very specific settings it may indeed hand off

PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System

• This RICOH-original technology is available during viewfinder shooting when the exposure mode is set to Scene Analyze Auto and the Custom Image mode is set to Auto Select.

Supported by the PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System, the K-1’s Auto Tracking function accurately detects the subject’s motion based on various factors including color, then keeps pinpoint focus on the subject throughout the imaging process by automatically shifting the in-focus point.

I see nothing in the Dpreview 'test' to indicate they used Scene Analyze Auto and the Custom Image mode auto so they had no PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System and hence no 'Auto Tracking'

Is something wrong with my logic ?

i.e

Unless the PENTAX Real-time Scene Analysis System is activated a K1 will behave like the K3 and NOT keep pinpoint focus on the subject throughout the imaging process by automatically shifting the in-focus point.

So looks to me that Dpreview have proved teh negative Pentax told the truth and their camera needs to be in Scene Analyze Auto and the Custom Image mode auto to activate their version for 3D tracking.

Dpreview didn't activate it and it didn't work switched off !!!

Maybe they should have queried Ricoh on how to configure the camera prior to the 'test' or is it in the manual ??

Just checking how they had the camera set

Date Time Original 2016:07:07 11:21:39

Exposure Time 1/1000

F Number f / 2.80

Exposure Program Manual

ISO Speed Ratings 320

Metering Mode Pattern

Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Focal Length 200mm

White Balance Auto white balance

Make RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.

Model PENTAX K-1

LensInfo 700/10 2000/10 28/10 28/10

Lens HD PENTAX D FA* 70-200

So they did not enable "Real-time Scene Analysis" and then complain it doesn't work

to quote

"Unfortunately, the improvements really don't seem to make that great of a difference in terms of performance as the K-1's autofocus system behaves in much the same manner as the K3 II."

Well blow me down with a feather you switch off  the k1 AI and it behaves like a camera that doesn't have AI !!!

I don't think you can lay this at Pentax's door

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ET2
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ET2
ET2
ET2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow