Great lens

Started Jul 10, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
barrym1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,517
Great lens

So I purchased this lens to replace my Tamron 35mm which wasnt producing colours I was happy with also in bright sunshine I was getting way more purple fringing than I would like.

I got to use the Sigma for the first time yesterday at a wedding.

Overall I was very happy with the results. The colours it produces are very accurate and pleasing compared to the Tamron and it really is as sharp as everyone says it is.

At 0.3m mine needed a +8 adjustment which was really easy to do with the Sigma dock and also a +2 at 2m +

The lens is well built and feels solid. There was a light rain which did concern me as the lens isnt weather sealed so I was alot more careful than I would have been with the Tamron

The things I didnt like were the lack of weather sealing which we all now about before we buy the lens so not a big deal. The other big thing is that it doesnt always nail focus. I would say 9 out of 10 times it will get focus spot on but every now and again it would miss. The Tamron didnt have this issue it his focus 100% of the time.

Great lens overall, I do miss the stabilization of the Tamron but the Sigma offers much better colours and to my eye much crisper photos

4.5 stars just because of the weather sealing and the occasional missed focus. A lens you wont regret buying (unless you forget to buy a dock at the same time then you will be plagued by front or back focusing!!)

barrym1966's gear list:barrym1966's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art
Prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF3, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha, Sony FE • 340
Announced: Sep 17, 2012
barrym1966's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kwe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow