Seeking constructive criticism of this portrait/candid shot

Started Jul 10, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kristada673
Kristada673 Forum Member • Posts: 95
Seeking constructive criticism of this portrait/candid shot

I took this shot yesterday in a shop where they were demoing the new Tamron 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD (and other Tamron) lenses. I took this quick pic of the young lady who insisted us (me and my friends) trying out a few lenses. I was blown away by the picture quality, probably because I had never used an 85mm myself, which I guess justifies its steep price. It was a quick shot and I was trying hard to be inconspicuous, as I wanted the shot to be candid. I am looking for constructive criticism to help me improve taking shots when there is very little time to think, and the window of opportunity to create the candid shot is very little.

First of all, is this a candid shot or a portrait shot, or can it be categorized as either or both? Is it like for a shot to be portrait, the subject would have to be aware their picture is being taken, and they'd need to look straight at the camera?

Secondly, I think I should have stood just a little further away, like half a foot to 1 foot, to get a little bit of the background perspective.

Thirdly, because of shooting at f/1.8, the lips are not in focus when the point of sharpest focus is her left eyebrow. But shooting at f/2.8 or more, I would not get the insane bokeh. How do I get this bokeh AND have her whole face on focus? Point to note, I couldn't use flash if I wanted to be inconspicuous.

What else? Fire away!

Kristada673's gear list:Kristada673's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow