Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

Started Jul 5, 2016 | Questions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,569
User error

osv wrote:

Nephi wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

The center is certainly sharper than the corners wide open. The famous vignetting is not a problem at all AFAIC. The corners are all about the same sharpness. If I were splitting hairs, I might ding the left side a tiny bit, but it's nothing that will affect normal photography. Lr CC 2015.6, defaults except for Exposure boost, WB Daylight.

Jim

Thanks for the test Jim. I think the left side is definitely soft compared to the right. Hard to tell from the image though. I'd bet if you shot buildings or something with hard lines you find the left side stands out. Based on my experience though that's a decent copy with a "normal" slightly softer side.

i think that it's worse than slightly soft, but how can anyone tell with such small pics... were they downrezzed, 100% partial crop, or ?? did the raws get touched by sony in-camera corrections? etc.

flip side is that it's a tough test because it's a landscape that was shot wide open... does the left side clean up at any aperture? well, maybe not: "As you stop down there is very little change. The center improves a little to excellent levels but there is next to no improvement outside of the center. So at typical settings for landscape use, e.g. f/8 or f/11 other much cheaper lenses are sharper in the corners. The Canon FD 2.8/35 for example." http://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-carl-zeiss-sonnar-fe-2-835-za-t/

there was a thread on fredmirada(?) where several people were complaining about shooting landscapes with this lens.

Is my face red! The camera was set on APS-C crop, and I never noticed. I'll repeat the test tomorrow.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow