Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

Started Jul 5, 2016 | Questions thread
Nephi Contributing Member • Posts: 531
Re: Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

l_d_allan wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Here's the scoop on the Sony 35mm. ALL of them have a tilt that will manifest itself in a noticeably less detailed right or left side.

How do you know that?

He may be referencing the infamous / notorious LR blog article in which 10 of 10 FE35's were out-of spec. It "earned" being in the category which at the time was described in another article as "crap shot q/c" (from 4.0 to 5.0).
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/10/sony-e-mount-lens-sharpness-bench-tests/

So a more accurate statement might be "10 of 10 FE35's were rejects".

That doesn't preclude yours (JK) being fine.

IIRC, the FE90 was 4.5, also significantly under a consistency/variance score of 5.0, which also put it in the "crap shot q/c" category. I think you've been more than impressed with your copy, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else, or another lens you own.

I am not referring to that article. I am specifically talking about the 35mm 2.8 and a conversation I had with Roger C. His words below:

"Unfortunate reality is all we can do is screen to make sure the lenses we have are in normal range for that lens. With Sony's 35s, normal is that there is a tilt and one corner or one side is going to be slightly softer than the others. I've never tested one that wasn't that way. All of ours are slightly tilted. Same with the 35mm f/1.4. We've screened out the bad ones, but the rest are what they are.

My opinion, with both lenses, after disassembling and trying optical adjustment, is that the optomechanical design of the lenses just doesn't allow tilt to be completely corrected. Basically, as sub-supplier who said they could deliver a certain accuracy couldn't and there is no optical adjustment available in the lens to compensate."

My experience mirrors his with multiple copies. However, I don't find the tilt to be minor. I find it to be fairly noticeable on either the right or left.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow