Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

Started Jul 5, 2016 | Questions thread
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087
Re: Help judging performance of my FE55z, FE35f2.8z horizon/infinity

JimKasson wrote:

l_d_allan wrote:

I think the assumption that near-infinity horizons are acceptable for lens evaluation is an obsolete carry-over of the [bad] old days of film.

IIRC, A.A. relied on testing with trees on the horizon, and what I think he described as "infinite detail the closer you looked".

In terms of cycles per picture height, an 8x10 view camera with film in it is nothing to sneeze at, even by today's standards. Such negatives are sufficiently sharp that there is a clear difference between an 8x10 silver-gelatin contact print on F paper and an identically sized print made in an enlarger.

Not meaning to be argumentative (moi ?), but surely you aren't claiming/extrapolating that what was sufficient for the 8x10" view camera you may still own is therefore fine and dandy for a 42 mpx Super-Exmor?

And I do realize that your climate situation may very well allow you to "get away with" near-horizon tilted captures ... especially since they are right outside your door and thus much handier than a brick wall you'd have to drive to.

I'd suggest that a reasonable guideline for the rest of us might be that:

• IFF you have a suitable climate (which we both do)
  • IFF you can walk to a suitable scene with near-infinity flatness of field targets (see below for my situation)  ... then
  • Knock yourself out with tilted horizons
  • Otherwise if you have to drive, consider using a brick wall (of which I have 2+ within walking distance so I don't have to drive to do that testing)

180 deg FOV pano from FE28 within easy walk from my front door. Not intended as test scene since there was no intent to have a flat field with all trees at near-infinity ... but that I am fortunate to have a usable near-infinity scene close by. Even better, it would work with a wide variety of focal lengths.

I'd also acknowledge that my non-aversion to brick walls may at least be partly due to having several good ones within walking distance.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow